Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bowling and Board Games

In this day and age most parents allow their children to bring their entertainment with them where ever they go. Nintendo DSs' will be in hands at the park, grocery store, mall and movie theaters. It is as if parents are afraid to actually engage their children and be the "uncool" parents who don't let electronics travel with as if they are part of the family.

When I watch my friend's children there is a rule that there are no electronics, toys, or other forms of entertainment allowed when they are with me. I want to spend time with them. I want them to just enjoy being a kid without outside entertainment.

Yesterday I took 3 of my friend's children bowling. We only stayed for an hour but it was more than enough fun. There were plenty of laughs, jokes and smiles shared among the four of us while trying to get strikes so we could brag that we were the winner. After two games, and tying scores we headed over to Zesto's on Piedmont for some greasy food. We talked and laughed. It was pure and simple fun. No drama, no electronics. I did cave a little because it was just dreadful weather and we were not able to get out and enjoy any of the parks in Atlanta. We went back to their house and watched an old movie from my childhood, Good Burger. It was simple, fun movie. No drama, no attitude. I know- electronics were involved in this outing at this point. But it was raining and we had a limited budget on entertainment.

However, their sister came home and that is when the fun started. Has anyone noticed how confusing some board games are these days? It took us a good 30 minutes to figure out how the cards worked for Spongebob Sorry! However, the game started and so did the smack-talking. Each of us picking out a different person to bump back to home the next chance we got. I of course was caught up in the music playing in the background and was called out for my chair dancing!

Around this time a friend of the oldest daughter showed up for a sleepover. I figured that they would go shut themselves in her room and not come out till begged to come down for dinner. But it wasn't the case. We broke out Scattegories and got on teams and played for 2 hours. Do you know how hard it is to create lists with 5 children under 13? Extremely hard because no one knows enough yet. But that is the beauty of the game- the children got to learn while playing.

I think more families should attempt this all day entertainment on an upcoming Saturday. Set a budget that is minimal and stick to it. Grab a blanket and take advantage of Grant Park's peaceful green spaces, picnic by the Chattahoochee, hike Kennesaw Mountain and appreciate nature. Most important of all- bring a board game. You never know when a good moment will strike for some family competition!

Posts will be harder to come by now since I no longer have a childcare position. But I am always one for observing families and child behavior while out. I am sure I'll be able to grab some entertaining post ideas! Atlanta families are great for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment